What we did Quarter 1
8-30, 31 4A/4B
* class policies and syllabus, safety contract, textbook and lab book sign-out, getting to know each other, some other fun items.
*Overview of basic chemistry "Bingo"...review vocab.
*Discussion on Organic Molecules (presentation)
*Placemat activity to brainstorm Lipids, Proteins, Nucleic acid and Carbs)
*Building organic molecules: model activity, looking at 3-D structure
*Notes and discussion: Carbohydrates
*Protein and enzymes notes and discussion
* how to set up your lab book
* complete enzyme notes
*discuss the lab: lab 2 Enzyme Catalysis
* review what to do for lab 2
*lab 2 part 2A, 2B and set out H2O2 for 2C
*Lab 2 D (time course) and complete 2C
* review for lab exam next class, checked lab books for lab 2
*Enzyme lab exam
*Nucleic acids and intro to digestive system
*review lab test
*digestive system discussion
* Unit 1 Exam
*Intro. to cells and tissues unit
*Cell Size interactive ( if you miss this, you need to stay after school to do it or get notes)
* cells and tissues Station activities...complete 1 station
*completed the other stations. If absent, you are responsible to come in and do the stations or you can get the info under "links" and "handouts"
*Begin Lab 40 : Tissues, turn in lab book for check of "Stations" activities
* day 2 of lab 40 and plant cells
*Complete lab time for Animal and Plant tissue lab
*exam review activities
*cell membrane intro. activities
10-29 4B and 11-1 4A
Exam review for next class; lab 40 check
Cells and tissues Exam
HW for Quarter 1
Signed policy and safety contract, read chapter 1-2, do on-line quizzes and print out results page after you e-mail to yourself....do not e-mail to me, get a notebook for labs.
*any papers to get signed...safety, class policies, get a lab book, and complete your book or 3 movie reviews.
*Article: Carbohydrates in Cell recognition" with questiions...in the labs and
*Pre-lab entry for lab 2 in your manual: Enzyme Catalysis. Address the questions based on lab part 2D which is the main part of the lab. This should be in your lab journal. Read the instructions on how to set up your lab book that are attached to your class syllabus.
*prepare lab book for lab
* wear close toed shoes,meet in room 224, read over the lab again
* Article with questions "Enzymes Exposed"
*all questions and data from parts 2A and 2B in lab book
Remember close toes shoes for next class, review lab procedure 2D
*All of lab 2: questions, data charts and graph ALL if it to be entered in lab book
to be checked next class and we will go over it all
*Study for lab exam, use the link "lab bench" to practice.
*On-line quiz for chapter 3, work on the Digestive system section of the anatomy packet.
*chapt. 43 on-line quiz and read the chapter....see above.
*Unit Exam 10-7 A-day and 10-8 B-day
* see above
-Study for exam; see links and handouts section
*chapter 5, 35, 42 on-line quizzes and read chapters...not due yet
* Chapter 5,35,42 on-line quizzes by 10-18/19; entry in lab book on cell size:
1. Why are cells constrained by size? 2. How do large cells accomidate for their size? 3. Pictures of 2 cells showing ways to increase surface area to volume ratio and explain.
* see above ...that is due for 4A Monday. 4B the 1-3 questions are due Thurs. 10-14 and the chapter quizzes on Tues. next week
*the plant and animal tissue presentations were too large to upload here. Look under "Helpful links" to find where I have them.
* Complete all of the cells and tissues stations. Glue the grading rubric into your lab book and slide all the work in for me to check next class.
* Enter what you did today in your lab book....don't forget you need to include "real" pictures of each tissue examined
*work on the lab; pictures, questions and post lab
Unit exam 11-3 B-day, 11-4 Aday
* All of the animal and plant tissue labs and post lab entry due next class
*Complete cell membrane model
*exam 11-3 4B and 11-4 4A
* Cell membrane overview and cell model for 4B
4A: on-line quiz chapter 6